Sunday, February 05, 2006

What I Drew In Church Today


I discovered something interesting while I sat doodling in church during the sermon. Well...actually I discovered two things. One, the act of drawing actually shuts off my mind and helps me pay better attention. Without drawing, my mind wanders off to things like, "I have drawings due tomorrow, do I have enough fed-ex folders? What if I get to the fed-ex drop off, and all the labels and folders are gone because someone is always swiping like ten of them at a time, when they don't even need them." And then the sermon's over, and I don't remember a thing about it. So drawing makes me a better listener. The 2nd thing I discovered as that the Minister DOES notice that you are looking down and drawing even though you are ALL the way in the back, and little does he know you are doing it for his benefit, so that you don't miss one important point he makes. Ah well....

4 comments:

Kactiguy said...

I know what you mean. I draw in church all the time and it really helps me pay attention. Although, I don't think it helps the little kids who are watching me draw to pay attention very well. These looks like you are watercoloring in church. I've never tried that.

Paige Keiser said...

Nah, I watercolored when I got home.

Mad Guru said...

Wow. Your work is really beautiful. I love the way you use color and how you stylize everything. Your characters are really fun!

Ginger*:) said...

Hi Paige, I was really interested in your post today, because I found the same thing to be so true! Also I noticed Augsburg Fortress on the bulletin from your church... we use their program in the Sunday School where I teach each Sunday. Your paintings are wonderful and most likely truly "inspired". Thanks for sharing so honestly!