Saturday, February 27, 2010

Learning New Things

I'm reaching the end of a deadline with a little space in between to try some of my own experiments and work on a story I've had stashed away.  Most of all, I want to work on my watercolor techniques.  The way I paint with watercolors has truly been a trial-and-error sort of thing.  Step-by-step books just couldn't hold my attention for very long because I hated copying someone else's painting.  And, if I tried to force myself to do it for the sake of learning, it would drain my original excitement for the medium right out of me.  But, I want to learn still, because I know there are many tools and techniques that I have missed, which therefor ends up limiting my ability to express my ideas on paper--and I surely don't want that.  So I'm going to try again with a watercolor book: "Watercolor Basics - Let's Get Started" by Jack Reid.  From what I've seen in the preview on amazon it looks like a good book, and plus it starts with a philosophy about painting that I agree with whole-heartedly:

"The most important piece of equipment won't cost you anything at all: attitude.  If you're looking for shortcuts or gimmicks, you won't find them in this book.  The best kind of attitude to bring to any new endeavor is a firm belief in hard work.  Some books promise to make watercolor painting easy and order you to "have fun."  Well, I disagree.  Though I'll keep things as simple as possible throughout this book, simple doesn't mean easy.  You have to work at this marvelous medium the same way a singer must train her voice or a musician must practice his instrument.  In other words, you'll need to master the basics.  I've always ascribed 10 percent of my own success to inspiration and 90 percent to perspiration." -Jack Reid

6 comments:

k.h.whitaker said...

As artists we are all constantly learning, when we stop learning we stop growing. I think your work is wonderful and trial-and-error helps you to find your own voice, but learning more is always a bonus!

theartofpuro said...

Great post,I totally agree with you ,me too I'd like to learn more.Hope that after you bought the book you'll post if you liked it ,I'd like to buy it myself!

Kevin Spear said...

Thanks for the pep talk. You and Jack are right. Attitude is what drives us. Talent without passion just isn't enough. I better start working!

Mai Kemble said...

too true!

Ginger*:) said...

I agree but think there is maybe 90 percent perseverence.
Finding your own personal style takes lots of time, patience, energy, failure and hopefully ... a rewarding sample of success.

woody said...

I don't know Paige, I think your work is very strong and has such a great sense of personal style already. It never hurts to continue learning though! Sounds like a great book.