Friday, May 20, 2011

Awesome Printer Demo by Matthew Cordell

I don't know about you guys, but there is one part of illustration that I can't stand: transferring my drawings, hunched over a light box.  I simply DREAD it--especially when it's a big double-page-spread with lots of details.  Meanwhile, I'm blinding myself prematurely by trying to decipher pencil lines through 140lb watercolor paper.  It's a bummer and sucks the creativity out of me.

BUT, there is light at the end of the tunnel, folks!  Please check out this detailed demonstration by one of my absolutely favorite author/illustrators, Matthew Cordell.  What if you could PRINT OUT as many copies of your under-drawing as you wanted in a matter of seconds--waterproof and directly onto 140lb watercolor paper?!  Whether this works on cold press/textured paper I don't know, but it certainly works on hot press.  Matthew shows you how to do just that, and includes a link to the amazingly low priced printer he uses (all the ones I've seen are in the thousands--this one is strangely only a tad over one hundred, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!  I bought it).   Time is money, so I know personally I'll be finishing my final art a heck of a lot faster than I did before, which may mean I could fit in that smaller job I might other-wise have to pass up.  Plus, I'll simply enjoy the process of painting more.

While I'm at it, I want to plug Matt's awesome new book, written by Lauren Thompson: Leap Back Home to Me.  Look at that adorable cover!!!   Ever envy an illustrator because they get to work in a style you'd give your eye-teeth to work in every day?  Anyways, this book has received fantastic reviews (Kirkus and Publishers Weekly starred reviews, no less).  Congrats Matt!

I'm getting my printer in the mail hopefully tomorrow - I'll let everyone know how I like it.

5 comments:

theartofpuro said...

Even if I come from 2D animation where using a lightbox is a normal thing,I hate to redo my drawings with it:)I agree with you:)
Great post!Thanks for advice and for the link:)

Phyllis Harris said...

I've been doing it this way for awhile now and I have to say, I go into the painting knowing I can always do it again and it gives me sooo much more confidence! What's funny is I rarely do it over but I think that's just because of the mental note that I can if need be. :) It's a head game with me I guess.

Phyllis Harris said...

Oh and thanks for the intro to Matthew's work! Although I really love his style, I also love yours, Paige so don't change it! lol!

christine grove said...

Oh goodness that sounds like heaven to me. I H.A.T.E. transferring. I'll be checking out the link. Thanks:)

Mônica said...

Thank you, Paige, this is awesome information. I just purchased mine! The price is unbeatable and to know that it will work with watercolor paper, wow...

And I love "Leap Back Home to Me" too!