Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Not So Great Beginner Art From Years Ago

The very worst art is unfortunately not available to post because I was not shy about tossing (often with great frustration) art into the trash can that didn't live up to my expectations. This is stuff that is bad, but at least had some spark to it to warrant saving.

I can definitely see my 'phases' here where I copied my favorite artists (again...badly) to try to learn - and I did learn a great deal this way! I never sent off anything that looked too much like an artist because I was terrified of copying someone's style, even accidentally. What I have done is gathered all the things I liked about different artists and incorporated those things into my own style.

So, with a bit of embarrassment (haha) here we go. Some of these are ok or fairly good, but just look too much like the artists I admired. Others are just....bad,

My Lynn Munsinger phase:



My Tony Ross Phase:





Dav Pilkey stage:



Mercer Mayer phase:



Aliki phase:



Willam Joyce (his early style) phase:



Oh dear....still learning:


Mary Engelbreit phase:



Yikes..



Obviously one I started then jumped ship before it was done because I didn't like it. To the right I think was my Simon James phase.

17 comments:

Ginger*:) said...

No matter which phase you found yourself in you always managed to grow out and up into what has become a delightfully free PaigeSTAGE!

I love what you are doing now and have been doing for quite some time!

Candace Trew Camling said...

I don't think any of these are terrible. But you sure have grown! I like your stuff now Very much!!

Jay Asher said...

That was fun!

And just think, one day artists will be showing their early attempts at finding their own style...and they'll include a Paige Keiser stage.

storyqueen said...

I agree. I like the Paige Stage the best! But I have to say I am impressed by the diversity of illustrators you "apprenticed" with.

(I had a Maurice Sendak and a Roald Dahl stage in my writing........yikes!)

Also, I love the cow in the post below!

Shelley

Unknown said...

I love these as fun experiments1 Your stuff now is the best, of course.

Mônica said...

I agree, your own unique style is the absolutely best! But it was fun to see your experiments -- even as you practiced with different styles your sense of composition and your colors are always fresh and beautiful.

angelic pursuits said...

Thanks for that very entertaining post! The others have captured my feelings exactly. I have illustrators I also admire and try to emulate, but nowhere near as many as you! I think it's great and it's so much fun to see how your style today has evolved from doing such practices. You truly are one of my favorite illustrators, especially because of your choice of colors and the action and personality in your characters. Thanks for being so willing to share!

BLUEANGLER said...

"a delightfully free PaigeSTAGE!"

Exactly! : )

theartofpuro said...

I like them also if they are in your first steps,they aren't so bad

Michelle Henninger said...

How funny! I had similar stages: Lynn Munsinger, Felicia Bond, LeUyen Pham, RW Alley, Matt Phelan! I think your work is classic Paige now, and I'd be surprised if you aren't apprenticing some people out there yourself!

Thanks for being brave, and sharing!

Mia Charro said...

You have a lot of great inspirations! your style is now awesome.

Jess said...

I really enjoyed this post Paige. I've gone through(and am probably still going through!) my 'stages'. Sometimes I find it's almost an unconcious thing and feel bad when I see the 'copied' artist's work and realise what I've done! I can see the common thread peeping out throughout all your stages and maybe that's happening in mine too. I know the more I draw, the closer I get to 'me'. Thankyou for a fantastic post.x

nicole falk said...

This was so wonderful to see, i feel like i have TONS of those "phases" and im so glad other artists do too..i think im still developing my style (maybe we always are?) but i love your art, as you know..so cheers to so much growth!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing these. (and they aren't bad. I could get my hands on some really terrible stuff of my own since I tend to KEEP everything.) I actually use those to share with my son as he loses confidence in his ability to draw. He's 8, so tragic.

Leighton Noyes said...

I doff my hat and bow my head and I live in your shadow, Paige. You're truly a class act.

Mariah DeMarco said...

...yet somehow ALL of these are SO much better than my stuff! Thank you again for sharing and inspiring! Warmly, Mariah DeMarco

Duane Keiser said...

and I'm sure there is some young illustrator out there going through their Paige Keiser phase...