Monday, July 11, 2011

Emma & Kate

This is an illustration in the making of my two nieces.  They're staying with me while the family waits to move into their rented house.  In the back is their pup Hanna who whines and frets until the girls get home from school.  Hoping for this to be my illustration Friday entry.  As in..."Hanna, STAY" (something they always tell her).

I'm trying to get better at drawing interiors and exteriors of buildings/houses.  This was a really fun perspective, and very challenging!  Sometimes I think to myself, I don't like drawing such-and-such.  But the fact often is, I have a hard time drawing certain subjects.  And maybe I'd actually enjoy it if I practiced and got better at it?  Or maybe I think I CAN'T drawing those subjects and avoid them?  So, recently I'm trying to challenge that belief system.  Of course I can draw anything I set my mind to right?  That's what practicing is for.  I'm done limiting myself that way.  Time for another growth spurt!  It's what keeps things fresh and interesting.

Before I paint this, I'm going to go over all the lines with a ruler to give the building a better look of solidarity.  For right now they're very loosely drawn just to get the idea down. 

6 comments:

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Oh I so very often go through those belief system challenges, too! It's so obvious you can draw anything you set your mind to. I will take my inspiration from you!! Great illo!!

k.h.whitaker said...

oh, my comment disappeared, anyway, this is going to be such a sweet illustration. I can't wait to see it colored. It's hard to make yourself work on the things that you aren't as comfortable doing. I'm sure you will be proficient in this too, in no time. :)

lil kim said...

Wow, excellent sketch Paige. Good for you for pushing yourself - it's the only way we really learn, right? I think you've got the perspective spot on, and your character sketches of people just get more and more endearing. Did you have them pose for you or is this just from memory/imagination?

Phyllis Harris said...

I LOVE the looseness of this sketch just as it is, Paige!! It is just perfect!!! Cannot wait to see it in color!!!

Thank you for always being such a wonderful inspiration to me! :)

Deb said...

I agree with Phyllis....love the looseness of it. Toss those rulers out the window :)

INDIGENE said...

I know exactly, what you mean! Procrastination and doubt is the sneakiest of creative kill! Thanks for sharing this, and if this is an example of you're not doing it well, then it's best we all retire our pencils! Great illustration!