Friday, June 29, 2007

Two Rat Claws Up For Ratatouille!


Wow, how brilliant.....perfection. They couldn't have done it better. I'm not going to write a full review as there are plenty of those, but let's just say I'm going back for seconds. What a beautiful film.

The short film before the feature is hilarious as well. Oh, and make sure you have plenty of snacks to nibble on, because the presentation of food (similar to Big Night for example) will make your mouth water. I, unfortunately, had my first run in with MOLDY POPCORN! I have seen movies in theaters throughout both Europe and here in the US, and have never come across moldy popcorn before. I mean, how do you screw up popcorn? I got my five bucks back from the less than happy or sympathetic manager, and rode home hoping I didn't end up sick in a few hours. They were funny without knowing it too--they asked if I wanted a replacement. Yes, more moldy popcorn please.... yum!

Get your family together and expect a little less than two hours of pure delight. Click here for a whole collection of video clips from the movie if you can't wait, or can't get to the theater this weekend. Enjoy!

And to add to the festivities, here's the recipe for Ratatouille (Remy is the name of the main rat character, and Ratatouille is the name of a French stewed vegetable dish, so no it's not a recipe for rat stew I promise!):
Ratatouille for 2

Serving Size: 2

Ingredients:

  • 2 small onions, cut in quarters
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 eggplant, cut in bite sized pieces
  • 2 bell peppers, de-seeded and cut in bite sized pieces
  • 4 tomatoes, cut in large pieces
  • 1 zucchini, cut in bite sized pieces
  • 1-3 tbs. olive oil
  • 2-3 teaspoons herbs de Provence
  • salt to taste
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 3-4 tbs. liquid (it can be tomato paste with water, or often, if a jarred bell pepper is used, it can be the liquid from the jar).

Directions:

  1. In a large skillet or frying pan, place the olive oil and begin to saute the onion.
  2. Add the bell pepper pieces, and the zucchini pieces.
  3. When they begin to soften, add the eggplant, garlic and tomatoes.
  4. Add the seasonings and lightly saute all the vegetables until al dente.
  5. Add a bit of liquid so the vegetables don?t stick to the pan, but not so much that they are swimming in liquid.

Notes:

I usually use either the yellow or red bell peppers. They are sweeter and milder than the green ones, but usually more expensive.
Using 1 of each (the yellow and the red) gives the dish a more colorful appearance.

1 comment:

Disco Mermaids said...

I just watched the film with my niece and nephew (11 & 8). While I was blown away by the visuals...they were busting up at the humor!

Very fun.

- Jay